Butternut Squash Vegan Lasagna
Coming up with two great tasting vegan lasagna recipes in less then 24 hours is no small task, but one I am happy to report I was able to accomplish. Our Classic Three Cheese Vegan Lasagna will appeal to individuals who like their meals a little saltier while our Butternut Squash Vegan Lasagna caters to people who prefer sweet undertones when it comes to lasagna sauce.
- 1/Cook 1 box of lasagna noodles as directed (10-12 noodles required)
- 2/Steam peeled butternut squash, coarsely chopped (1/2 large squash) (1 lb/450g)
- 3/Prepare parmesan cheese (recipe below)
- 4/Prepare butternut squash cream sauce (recipe below)
- 5/Prepare tomato sauce (recipe below)
- 6/Select a 9″ x 9″ ceramic dish; Preheat oven to 400F; Prepare lasagna as directed (see below)
*Important: Double the ingredients listed*
- 3/4 cup cashews, raw (110g)
- 1 tsp hemp seeds, raw and unshelled
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1/Place cashews and hemp seeds in the Thermomix mixing bowl. Grind 7 sec/Speed 7.
Note: Be careful not to overgrind.
- 2/Add salt and garlic powder to the TM bowl. Using the Turbo setting (1.0 sec) pulse twice.
- 3/Add lemon juice to the TM bowl. Using the Turbo setting( 0.5 sec) plus three times.
Transfer the prepared cheese to a small mixing bowl; set aside.
Butternut Squash Cream Sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup soy milk, unsweetened
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Steamed butternut squash, coarsely chopped (1 lb/450g)
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 1/Place clove of garlic in your Thermomix mixing bowl. Chop 5 sec/Speed 5. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 2/Add soy milk to the TM bowl. Slowly drizzle the oil into the mixing bowl until thoroughly blended (4 mins/Speed 4).
- 3/Insert the butterfly whisk attachment. Add vinegar to the TM bowl. Whisk for 10 sec/Speed 3. Continue to whisk for an additional minute (until timer reaches 1 min 10 sec). You should now have a sauce with a creamy consistency.
- 4/Add steamed butternut squash and a pinch of salt to the soy cream mixture in the TM bowl. Blend 25 sec/Speed 4. You will now have a smooth puree. Transfer to a medium-size mixing bowl and set aside.
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- Olive oil (10g)
- Tomato sauce (One 720ml jar/660g)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of dried basil
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 3 Tbsp parmesan cheese (recipe above)
- 1/Add onion and garlic to your Thermomix mixing bowl. Chop 5 sec/Speed 7. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 2/Add oil to the TM bowl. Sauté onions and garlic for 3 mins/120C/Speed 1.
- 3/Add remaining ingredients (tomato sauce through salt). Cook 3 mins/100C/Speed 1.
- 4/Add 3 parmesan cheese. Blend 15 sec/Speed 4.
- 1 box of cooked lasagna noodles (10-12 noodles)
- Parmesan cheese (see recipe above) *Note: Be sure to double the ingredients listed*
- Butternut squash cream sauce (see recipe above)
- Tomato sauce (see recipe above)
- 2-3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/Cover the bottom of your ceramic dish with a thin layer of prepared tomato sauce. Set aside.
- 2/Lay each cooked lasagna noodle flat on a clean work surface. For each noodle:
-spoon a layer of the butternut squash cream sauce on the entire length of the noodle
-sprinkle parmesan cheese over the squash mixture
-top with a small amount of parmesan cheese (Note: You want to leave a small amount of parmesan reserved for step 3 below).
-gently roll the noodle end-to-end to create a “roll” (much like you would a pinwheel sandwich). When finished, carefully place the roll up in the ceramic dish.
- 3/Add any reserved parmesan cheese to the bowl containing your tomato sauce and stir gently to combine. Pour the tomato sauce over all lasagna rolls — go ahead and use all the sauce!
- 4/Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese over the sauce (and additional parmesan cheese if desired).
- 5/Bake for 25-30 mins or until cheese is melted.
*Follow Your Heart® Vegan Gourmet Shreds [either Mozzarella or Pizzeria Blend)
*Harvest Sun Organic Bouillon Powder
Note: This recipe was made using a Thermomix appliance, however it can easily be adapted using similar food prep tools (e.g. mutli-function processor, immersion blender etc) or using a more traditional stovetop method.