I have to admit that lasagna isn’t one of my “go to” recipes since it’s pretty labour intensive. In fact, the last time I made lasagna was prior to our cross-country move (from Ontario) to B.C so close to two and a half years ago. I also have to admit that I’ve been pretty skeptical about “veganizing” such a quintessential cheese-based dish. I will say one thing though, coming up with a genuine Classic Three Cheese Vegan Lasagna has been nothing short of satisfying.
With our delicious parmesan cheese in my back pocket and inspired by so many fellow bloggers’ posts for creamy cashew-based cheese sauces (not to mention having Follow Your Heart(R) cheese shreds on hand) I decided to explore a few different approaches. The first recipe, our Three Cheese Lasagna, combines parmesan, savoury cashew cream sauce and shredded mozzarella for a decadent lasagna we all devoured. The second recipe, our Butternut Squash Vegan Lasagna, developed from my goal of finding a way to create a sweeter (vs. salty) flavour into the lasagna while at the same time, leveraging the abundance of gorgeous squash that’s in season. The latter version is probably my favourite of the two, but I encourage you to try both or create a variation of your own.
Three Cheese Vegan Lasagna
- 1/Cook 1 box of lasagna noodles as directed (approx. 10-12 noodles)
- 2/Prepare parmesan cheese (recipe below)
- 3/Prepare cashew cheese sauce (recipe below)
- 4/Prepare tomato sauce (recipe below)
- 5/Select a 9″ x 9″ ceramic dish; Preheat oven to 400F; Prepare lasagna as directed (see below)
Parmesan Cheese *Note: Double the ingredients listed*
- 3/4 cup cashews, raw (110g)
- 1 tsp hemp seeds, raw and unshelled
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1/Place cashews and hemp seeds in the Thermomix mixing bowl. Grind 7 sec/Speed 7.
Note: Be careful not to overgrind.
- 2/Add salt and garlic powder to the TM bowl. Using the Turbo setting (1.0 sec) pulse twice.
- 3/Add lemon juice to the TM bowl. Using the Turbo setting( 0.5 sec) plus three times.
Transfer the prepared cheese to a small mixing bowl; set aside.
Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked and drained)
- 1 1/8 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp agave
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1/Place all ingredients in your Thermomix mixing bowl. Blend 1 min/Speed 5 – 6.5 (Note: Gradually increase to speed 6.5).
2/Transfer the cheese sauce to a medium-size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- Olive oil (10g)
- Tomato sauce (One 720ml jar/660g)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of dried basil
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 3 Tbsp parmesan cheese (recipe above)
- 1/Add onion and garlic to your Thermomix mixing bowl. Chop 5 sec/Speed 7. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 2/Add oil to the TM bowl. Sauté onions and garlic for 3 mins/120C/Speed 1.
- 3/Add remaining ingredients (tomato sauce through salt). Cook 3 mins/100C/Speed 1.
- 4/Add parmesan cheese. Blend 15 sec/Speed 4.
- 5/Transfer tomato sauce to mixing bowl containing cashew cheese sauce. Stir gently to combine. You now have Tomato Cashew Cream Sauce.
- 1 box of cooked lasagna noodles (Qty-12 noodles)
- Parmesan cheese (see recipe above) *Reminder: I recommend doubling the ingredients*
- Tomato cashew cream sauce (see recipe above)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/Cover the bottom of your ceramic dish with a thin layer of prepared tomato sauce. Layer three cooked lasagna noodles on top of sauce.
- 2/Pour one quarter of the tomato cashew cream sauce over the first layer of lasagna noodles. Sprinkle a third of the parmesan cheese on top, and then cover the parmesan cheese with three cooked lasagna noodles.
- 3/Repeat step two again (twice in fact) so that you when finished you have used a total of 12 lasagna noodles.
- 4/Pour the remaining tomato cashew cream sauce over the last layer of lasagna noodles. Top generously with grated mozzarella cheese (and additional parmesan cheese if desired).
- 5/Bake for 25-30 mins or until cheese is melted.
*Follow Your Heart® Vegan Gourmet Shreds [either Mozzarella or Pizzeria Blend)
Note: This recipe was made using a Thermomix appliance, however it can easily be adapted using similar food prep tools (e.g. mutli-function processor, immersion blender etc) or using a more traditional stovetop method.