Preheat oven to 450F.
Note: For best results, heat your oven with a pizza stone positioned on the centre rack and use the convection setting.
- 2 cups luke warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 Tbsp cane sugar
- White (unbleached) organic flour (800g)
- 1 Tbsp Himalayan pink salt (or similar)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt (or similar)
- 1/Combine water, yeast and sugar in your Thermomix mixing bowl. Blend 2 mins/37C/Speed 2.
- 2/Add flour, salt and oil to the TM bowl. Using the “Bread” setting, knead for 2.5 minutes.
- 3/Transfer dough into a large mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 45 minutes to an hour. Once proofed, divide the dough into the number of sections as required.Note: This recipe yields enough dough for 4 medium-size pizzas (12″ round) or 3 large pizzas (12″ round).
- 4/Turn each section of dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll into a round. Roll out until each section is a 12″ wide circle (approx. 1/8″ thin).
- 3/4 cup cashews, raw (110g)
- 1 tsp hemp seeds, raw and unshelled
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1/Place cashews and hemp seeds in the Thermomix mixing bowl. Grind 7 sec/Speed 7.Note: Be careful not to overgrind.
- 2/Add salt and garlic powder to the TM bowl. Using the Turbo setting (1.0 sec) pulse twice.
- 3/Add lemon juice to the TM bowl. Using the Turbo setting( 0.5 sec) plus three times.Transfer the prepared cheese to a small mixing bowl; set aside.Basil Pesto
- 1/2 cup raw almonds (not roasted & salted)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil + 1 Tbsp
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- Few dashes of salt
- 1/Put almonds in your Thermomix mixing bowl. Chop 10 sec/Speed 7. You now have an almond flour base for your pesto.
- 2/Add garlic and basil leaves to the TM mixing bowl. Chop 8 sec/Speed 6. Scrape down sides of the bowl using a spatula.
- 3/Add 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese, and a few dashes of salt to the TM mixing bowl. Cook 3 min/90C/Speed 2. Once again, scrape down sides of the mixing bowl using a spatula.
- 4/Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the TM mixing bowl. Cook 1 min/90C/Speed 2.
- 5/Pour pesto over cooked pasta. Top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese for a more decadent taste.
Vegan Tomato & Basil Pesto Pizza Ingredients
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (plus extra for drizzle)
- Basil pesto (recipe above)
- Parmesan cheese (recipe above)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced (I used vine-ripened tomatoes but any juicy, sweet variety will work)
Vegan Tomato & Basil Pesto Pizza Assembly
- 1/Brush a generous amount of olive oil over prepared pizza dough.
- 2/Spread pesto on pizza dough, then top with sliced tomatoes and parmesan cheese.
- 3/Gently drizzle olive oil over parmesan cheese. Bake until golden brown (approx. 10-12 minutes).
Note: This recipe was made using a Thermomix appliance, however it can easily be adapted using similar food prep tools (e.g. mutli-function processor, immersion blender etc) or using a more traditional stovetop method.
8 thoughts on “Vegan Tomato & Basil Pesto Pizza”