This soup is not only delicious, but also comes together in under 20 minutes. Since I’m on a curry “kick” and our Curried Chickpea, Potato and Rice Burrito recipe was a hit I decided it would be a good time to develop a curried soup using my favourite trio of “reds”: fresh red bell peppers, juicy red on-the-vine tomatoes and sweet red lentils.
I love the pairing of sweetness and gentle heat in this soup. I love mild curry flavours so using Patak’s Mild Curry Paste was my go-to product for making this soup. I find Patak’s has a delicate balance of quintessential Indian spices allowing other ingredients in the soup to shine. I admit I’ve always wanted to make my own from-scratch curry paste but the convenience factor always wins out :~
Rather than make one of the breads we’ve already shared I thought I’d try made-from-scratch Vegan Salted Pretzels to switch things up. These pretzels are incredibly easy to make (you see the theme here, lol) and were devoured by everyone. Once again, the outer salty pretzel crust complements the sweet heat from the soup.
Cook red lentils as directed (1 cup required)
- 1 large onion, halved (115g)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled (15g)
- Cilantro leaves, fresh (5g)
- Olive oil (10g)
- 1 Tbsp curry paste (I used Patak’s Mild Curry Paste)
- Red bell peppers, quartered (320g)(I used a medley of red and orange peppers. Any blend will do!)
- Tomatoes, quartered (460g) (I used on-the-vine tomatoes which are juicy and sweet)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup red lentils, cooked
- 1 Tbsp curry paste
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, full-fat
- 1 Tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 1/Add onion, garlic and fresh cilantro leaves to your Thermomix mixing bowl. Chop 5 sec/Speed 7. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 2/Add olive oil and 1 Tbsp mild curry paste to the TM bowl. Sauté 3 min/120C/Speed 1.
- 3/Add peppers and tomatoes to the sautéed mixture. Chop 7 sec/Speed 5.
- 4/Add water, red lentils and curry paste to the TM bowl. Cook 5 min/100C/Speed 1.
- 5/Add coconut milk, tamari sauce and sugar to the TM bowl. Blend 30 sec/Speed 7 to yield a smooth soup.
*Patak’s Mild Curry Paste (ingredients are listed below should you want to create your own. I find Patak’s product a tremendous time saver.
6 thoughts on “Curried Red Pepper Soup”