I have fond memories of having girls night out during high school at The Olive Garden. I would always order the Fettuccine Alfredo along with unlimited salad and breadsticks (after all who doesn’t love unlimited, lol). As delicious as it was, each time I placed my order I was accepting (and prepared for) that feeling too-full-and-bloated episode that would follow dinner. I’m pretty sure it had something to do with consuming over 1,000 calories — much of this thanks to its dairy-laden, high-fat ingredients. In contrast, Janik and I devoured this Vegan Creamy Alfredo Sauce all the way to the last noodle (even the kids gave it two thumbs up) and neither of us felt any sense of having overindulged. Who would have thought all those years ago in high school that one day I’d be eating Fettuccine Alfredo that rivals The Olive Garden — and one made from all plant-based ingredients!
This dish actually had Janik and I remark how much it tastes like an authentic cream-based sauce. The sautéed garlic, leek and basil is perfectly balanced by the rich, nutty and salty parmesan cheese. For this recipe I would definately recommend using unsweetened soy milk (vs. almond milk) to achieve the best results. Since we love garlic I wasn’t afraid to use three large cloves of Russian garlic. If you prefer an Alfredo sauce with a very subtle garlic flavour you may want to use just one garlic clove (or omit all together) — garlic is certainly a hero in this recipe. Just try it and you’ll see what I mean 🙂
If you’re looking for a unique twist on fettuccine Alfredo you might want to check out our Savoury Lemon Alfredo Sauce...this is a more traditional approach to Alfredo sauce as I use vegan butter and vegan cream cheese.
- 1/Prepare one batch of Healthy Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 2/Cook pasta as directed (I recommend using a thinner variety of pasta, such as Capellini, for this recipe)
- 2 small leeks (45g)
- 3 garlic cloves (20g)
- Basil leaves, fresh (5g)
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- Olive oil (10g)
- 1.5 cups soy milk, unsweetened
- 2 cups vegetable broth (I use 2 cups boiling water + 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder)
- 2 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese (recipe link above) + balance of cheese reserved for Step 4
- 1/Add garlic, leek and basil leaves to the Thermomix mixing bowl. Chop 5 sec/Speed 7. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- 2/Add olive oil and a pinch of salt. Sauté 3 min/120C/Speed 1. Once again scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 3/Pour soy milk, vegetable broth, parmesan cheese and pinch of salt to the TM bowl. Cook 5 min/100C/Speed 1.
- 4/Add remaining parmesan cheese (reserving 1 or 2 Tbsp for garnish if desired). Blend 15 sec/Speed 6. Pour over cooked pasta and serve hot.
*HarvestSun® Organic Vegetable Bouillon Powder
Note: This recipe was made using a Thermomix appliance, however it can easily be adapted using similar food prep tools (e.g. mutli-function processor, immersion blender etc) or using a more traditional stovetop method.