It’s hard to believe this is my last post of 2017! We head out to visit family tomorrow for the holidays so I’ll be taking a short break from our test kitchen to enjoy wonderful meals prepared by family and friends. Believe it or not, I’ve debated bringing my Thermomix on our travels so that I can put together some no-fuss, no-mess vegan meals (we are the only vegans in the family) but my sensibilities have helped me decide on leaving my kitchen assistant at home 😊.
This recipe comes on the heels of our Candy Cane Ice Cream and Chocolate Candy Cane-Dipped Donuts which have proven to be quite popular. Since peppermint is my (mild) obsession over the holidays I thought it was only fitting to end this year with my recipe for Candy Cane Snowball Cookies. This recipe is unbelievably simple, but delivers so much peppermint goodness! They are certainly on the sweet side (compared to our Chocolate Pixie Cookies) but given their small size, one or two is all you need. I didn’t hold back on the crushed candy cane in these cookies so this recipe will appeal to the candy cane lovers out there, but if you’re looking for a more subtle peppermint taste you could certainly reduce the amount of candy canes used and I’m sure they’d still be tasty 😀.
Before I sign off, I wanted to briefly mention how incredibly grateful I am to my family and friends for encouraging me to share my passion for food through Vegan Rhapsody. I also feel so fortunate to have a family willing to put up with my pursuit to uncover “the best” of everything vegan (even if that means trying a few different variations of the same recipe in the same week, lol). Food blogging is truly a labour of love and I look forward to sharing more plant-based recipes with you in 2018! Wishing you and yours a Happy Holiday~
- 1/Make powdered sugar (Alternatively, use store-bought icing sugar) Tip: If using a Thermomix, add granulated cane sugar to your Thermomix mixing bowl. Grind 7 sec/Speed 8. Voila!
- 2/Preheat oven to 325F
- 3/4 cup Earth Balance vegan butter (120g)
- 1/2 cup powdered cane sugar (110g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5g)
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (5g)
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (230g)
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour (40g)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Crushed candy cane (4 large canes/60g)
- 1/3 cup powdered cane sugar (75g)
- 1/Add butter to your Thermomix mixing bowl. Stir 1 min 30 sec/100C/Speed 1. The butter should be melted. Important: Insert the butterfly whisk attachment to your Thermomix mixing blade before Step 2.
- 2/Add ½ cup powdered sugar, vanilla extract and peppermint extract to the TM bowl. Whisk 15 sec/Speed 3. Reminder: Reserve 1/3 cup powdered sugar for Step 4. Important: Remove the butterfly whisk attachment to your Thermomix mixing blade before Step 3.
- 3/Add flour, salt and crushed candy cane to the TM bowl. Mix 15 sec/Speed 4.
- 4/Transfer the prepared dough from the TM bowl to a lightly floured surface. Form the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in 1/3 cup powdered sugar.
- 5/Bake at 325F for 20-22 minutes or until the cookies have set (not golden brown). Let the cookies cool completely.
Note: This recipe was made using a Thermomix appliance, however it can easily be adapted using similar food prep tools (e.g. mutli-function processor, immersion blender etc) or using a more traditional stovetop method.