Chewy. Warm. Giant cookie. Enough said 🙂. I’m a self-confessed sugar bug but our small (albeit carefully curated) collection of dessert recipes would say otherwise ☺️. Just recently my colleagues and I were sharing our top picks for dessert (yes I was likely the instigator for this topic, lol) and my team member described how his mom would always make the best chocolate chip skillet cookie there ever was. That moment was all I needed to set this recipe in motion…today I bring you our Vegan Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie.
I have fond memories of chocolate chip skillet cookies myself….Janik and I would frequent (far too often) a neighbourhood pizza shop not only for their wood-oven pizzas but for their chocolate chip skillet cookie. Deliciously crunchy on the outside with a chewy inside, this cookie was baked to perfection and topped with vanilla ice cream. It was sweet….and I mean very sweet. The kind of sinfully sweet decadence reserved for young couples in love, lol. With fond memories of this skillet cookie I set out to make what I have coined “indulgence in a pan”😀.
This recipe is unbelievably easy to make (especially with my Thermomix kitchen assistant) and the results are anything less than WOW. In fact, Eliam has already laid claim to two of these skillet cookies as his “birthday cake” for his birthday party next weekend. The mix of semi-sweet and dark chocolate chips keeps the cookie sweet but not over-the-top sweet while the use of heart-healthy chickpea flour – more robust in soluble fiber than unbleached, white flour – helps me keep this recipe (at least in my mind!) out of the realm of ‘junk food’ classification 😉.
Since I’m a sucker for any kind of chocolate-caramel combination I opted to drizzle vegan caramel sauce over the chocolate chip skillet cookie – if not for presentation for one final ode to indulgence. The four of us devoured the cookie and proclaimed this was our one of our “best” desserts yet. Try it for yourself and see…as always, I’d love to hear your comments.
- 1/Prepare 1 flax egg (See Recipe Notes)
- 2/Preheat oven to 375F
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp Earth Balance vegan butter, room temperature (110g) (see Recipe Note below)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (75g)
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (110g)
- 1 flax egg (40g) (See note above)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (155g)
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour (15g)
- 2 Tbsp tapioca flour (15g) (used as a thickening agent)
- 3/4 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (140g)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (40g)
- 1/Add vegan butter, brown sugar and cane sugar to your Thermomix mixing bowl. Mix 10 sec/Speed 5. Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- 2/Add flax egg and vanilla extract to the TM bowl. Mix 10 sec/Speed 5. Once again, scrape down sides of the mixing bowl.
- 3/Add baking powder, baking soda, salt, all-purpose flour, chickpea flour and tapioca flour to the TM bowl. Mix 10 sec/Speed 5. Scrape down sides of the mixing bowl.
- 4/Add semi-sweet chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips to the TM bowl. Mix 5 sec/Speed 4 (Reverse blade).
- 5/Transfer dough to 10-inch non-stick skillet. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes or until golden brown and just set in the center. Let skillet sit for 5 minutes to cool ever so slightly. Drizzle with caramel sauce (optional) or serve with ice cream.
Caution: Don’t over bake! When you remove from the oven the cookie should still look moist and chewy.
*Liefie’s – Salted Coconut Milk Caramel Sauce
*To prepare 1 flax egg: Combine 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds with 3 Tbsp warm water. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
*To soften cold/chilled vegan butter set your Thermomix to 45 sec/90C/Speed 1.
Note: This recipe was made using a Thermomix appliance; however, it can easily be adapted using similar food prep tools (e.g. mutli-function processor, immersion blender etc).