Move over Campbells® Cream of Celery soup. This homemade version of the canned soup classic is deliciously simple. The addition of coconut cream and plant-based milk (I used soy milk) gives this a smooth, creamy texture and lets the celery flavour shine. The celery seeds are a gem ingredient in this recipe…they are worth the price tag. Paired with our Caesar Salad with Homestyle Croutons and Coconut Bacon it’s a delicious soup and salad combination.
- 1 medium onion, halved (55g)
- 2 garlic cloves or 1 Red Russian garlic clove, peeled (10g)
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary (<5g)
- Olive oil (30g)
- 16-20 celery stalks, coarsely chopped (920g before trimming/680g trimmed)
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds (<5g) + extra for garnish
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt (<5g) + extra for garnish
- 4 cups vegetable broth (4 cups water/960g + 4 tsp/15g vegetable bouillon)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (125g)
- 1/8 cup soy milk
- Pinch dried rosemary (<5g)
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour (10g)
- 2 Tbsp cold water (30g)
- 1/Add onion, garlic and fresh rosemary to your Thermomix mixing bowl. Chop 5 sec/Speed 7. Repeat.
- 2/Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl. Add olive oil. Sauté 3 min/120C/Speed 1.
- 3/Add coarsely chopped celery to the TM bowl. Chop 5 sec/Speed 7. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl to collect the minced celery at the base of the bowl.
- 4/Add celery seed, salt and vegetable broth to the TM bowl. Cook 10 min/100C/Speed 1.
- 5/Replace the mixing bowl lid with the simmering basket. Simmer 5 min/80C/Speed 1.
- 6/Add coconut cream, soy milk and pinch of dried rosemary. Stir gently using the spatula. Important: Place a sieve/colander over a large mixing bowl (to collect the liquid element of the soup) before starting Step 7.
- 7/Transfer roughly half of the mixture into the colander. Shake the colander in order to separate the fibrous parts from the liquid soup. Set aside the mixing bowl with soup liquid. Tip: Use the underside of a large spoon to press down on the soup and separate the liquid from the fibrous parts.
- 8/Add the fibrous mixture (in colander), tapioca flour and cold water to the TM bowl. Blend 45 sec/Speed 8. Repeat once. Repeat again(Tot: 3 rounds of blending).
- 9/Add the reserved soup liquid to the TM bowl. Blend 30 sec/Speed 8. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Blend further for desired consistency. Garnish with celery seeds and salt (optional).
Harvest Sun® Organic Bouillon Powder [Vegetable]
Note: This recipe was made using a Thermomix appliance; however, it can easily be adapted using similar food prep tools (e.g. multi-function processor, immersion blender etc).