Feature Recipe | Roasted Tomato, Rice & Bean Soup (with Salted Bread Bites)
With temperatures just starting to dip below zero degrees this week (here in British Columbia) there’s no doubt that the season of soul-warming soup is upon us. This Roasted Tomato, Rice & Bean soup features fire-roasted tomatoes, a wild rice blend and black beans — all topped with creamy cashew-based parmesan cheese. It’s worth your while to use the fire-roasted variety of diced tomatoes (if you can find them) — they lend a sweet, slightly caramelized depth to the soup you just can’t get with plain diced tomatoes.
What I love about this soup is its versatility. Switch up the variety of bean used, add some roasted kale or corn or toss in some chili flakes to add an extra kick of flavour. However you make it be sure to pair this soap with crusty bread or my personalfavourite: Salted Bread Bites (pictured). If you make a double batch of soup or have leftovers this recipe can be repurposed into burrito filling….simply simmer the soup down and whip up a batch of flour tortillas and you have yourself a platter of hearty burritos.
Looking to add some tomato bliss to your dinner plans this week? Why not try these Vegan Rhapsody favourites:
This & That (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 2 cups dry wild rice/wild rice blend
- One batch Savoury Parmesan Cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 28fl oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- Savoury Parmesan Cheese
Prep It (see Recipe Notes)
- 1/Prepare one batch of Savoury Parmesan Cheese; set aside.
- 2/Cook 1 cup dry black beans as directed; set aside
- 3/Cook 2 cups wild rice/wild rice blend as directed; set aside.
- 1/Add a glug of olive oil to a pot on medium-low heat. Toss the chopped onion and minced garlic into the pot (along with a pinch of salt). Sauté until the mixture is golden brown and/or translucent.
- 2/Add fire-roasted tomatoes, vegetable broth, cumin powder, chili powder, celery seed, salt and 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese to the pot. Simmer (lid partially covered) on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- 3/Add remaining parmesan cheese, cooked black beans (approx. 3 cups) and cooked wild rice/wild rice blend (approx. 3 cups) to the pot. Stir to combine. Cook (lid covered) on medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
Serve with a toasted, buttered baguette for the perfect soup combo! Garnish with sea salt flakes and/or red chili flakes for added depth of flavour.
*How to prep Savoury Parmesan Cheese:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tsp hemp seeds (shelled)
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
Add dry ingredients to a food processor or high-powered blender. Pulse until well combined. Add lemon juice. Pulse until the mixture just starts to combine.
Important! Don’t pulse too much– the cheese should be granular and not a paste!
*As a general guideline:
1 cup dry beans (most varieties) = 3 cups cooked beans
This handy link gives an overview of bean and lentil conversions
* As a general guideline: 1 cup uncooked wild rice = 3 cups cooked wild rice. To cook wild rice, use three parts water to one part rice.
This handy link gives an overview of pasta and rice conversions