Feature Recipe | Skillet Beef Tacos
Crunchy, messy and fun. This about sums up Taco Tuesday in our household. Since deliciously simple is my motto this recipe for Skillet Beef Tacos is fast and flavourful…the perfect solution for weeknight meals when getting dinner ready in 30 minutes is key!
Play around with the ingredients and amounts once you’ve made this once or twice….I prefer a zesty filling loaded with lots of cheese, but you can customize with more or less seasoning and try different varieties of tomatoes as well. Once you try these tacos you certainly won’t regret holding the beef! 😝
If you or your family enjoy Mexican food you may also want to check out these Vegan Rhapsody favourites:
- 1 pkg Taco Shells
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Himalayan pink salt
- Two 340g packages Yves Cuisine® Veggie Ground Round
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp Taco seasoning blend (see Recipe Notes)
- Red pepper/ chili flakes (optional)
- 1.5 cups tomato sauce
- 2 sweet bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped (see Recipe Notes)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup cheese shreds
- Taco seasoning blend
- Sweet chili sauce
- Diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped red onion
- 1/Bake taco shells as directed.
- 1/Add a glug of olive oil to a skillet on medium-low heat. Add chopped onion, minced garlic and a pinch of salt. Sauté until fragrant.
- 2/Increase heat to medium-high. Add ground round (or similar), 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 Tbsp taco seasoning blend, a pinch of red pepper/chili flakes (optional) and glug of olive oil to the skillet. Pan-fry for 10 minutes or until ground round starts to look crispy.
- 3/Adjust heat to medium-low. Add tomato sauce, chopped bell peppers, fresh cherry/grape tomatoes, lime juice, 1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 Tbsp taco seasoning blend, chili flakes (optional) and salt. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- 4/Fold in cheese shreds. Combine until the cheese shreds being to melt Your filling is now ready!
Spoon prepared filling into baked taco shells. Sprinkle taco seasoning blend over filling and add a generous layer of sweet chili sauce. Finish with fixins’ of your choice such as creamy diced avocado, fresh cilantro and/or chopped red onion.
(1)How to make your own taco seasoning:
1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp ground cumin, ¼ tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika & dried oregano
Combine all seasonings together and store in an airtight container.
(2)Smaller tomato varieties such as Cherry or Grape are recommended since they tend to be sweeter. If you don’t have fresh tomatoes sub with canned tomatoes or additional tomato sauce.