Feature Recipe | Skillet Vegan Beef Tacos
Crunchy, messy and fun. This about sums up Taco Tuesday in our household. Since deliciously simple is my motto this recipe for Vegan Skillet Beef Tacos is fast and flavourful…the perfect solution for weeknight meals when getting dinner ready in 30 minutes is key!
Play around with the ingredients and amounts once you’ve made this once or twice….I prefer a zesty filling loaded with lots of cheese, but you can customize with more or less seasoning and try different varieties of fresh tomato as well. Once you try these tacos you certainly won’t regret holding the beef! 😝
If you or your family enjoy Mexican food you may also want to check out these Vegan Rhapsody favourites:
- 1 pkg Taco Shells
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Himalayan pink salt
- Two 340g packages Yves Cuisine® Veggie Ground Round or similar
- 2 Tbsp Taco seasoning blend
- 1.5 cups tomato sauce
- 2 sweet bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped*
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- Crushed red pepper/chili flakes (optional)
- Pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup cheese shreds
- Taco seasoning blend
- Sweet chili sauce
- Diced avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped red onion
- 1/Bake taco shells as directed.
- 1/Add a glug of olive oil to a skillet on medium-low heat. Add chopped onion, minced garlic and a pinch of salt. Sauté until onions are translucent and fragrant.
- 2/Add ground round (or similar), a few glugs of olive oil and 1 Tbsp taco seasoning blend to the skillet. Cook 10 minutes or until ground round is cooked through.
- 3/Add tomato sauce, chopped bell peppers, fresh cherry/grape tomatoes, lime juice, chili powder, 1 Tbsp taco seasoning blend, chili flakes (optional) and salt. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- 4/With skillet reduced to low heat sprinkle cheese shreds over filling. Let sit for a few minutes until the cheese shreds being to melt (you can always cover skillet with a pot or cutting board to speed up the process). Your filling is now ready!
Spoon prepared filling into baked taco shells. Sprinkle taco seasoning blend over filling and add a generous layer of sweet chili sauce. Finish with fixins of your choice such as creamy diced avocado, fresh cilantro and/or chopped red onion.
*Smaller tomato varieties such as Cherry/Grape are recommended since they tend to be sweeter 🙂
*How to make your own taco seasoning:
1 Tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp ground cumin, ¼ tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika & dried oregano
Combine all seasonings together and store in an airtight container.