I don’t know about you but I’ll usually pay the few extra dollars to ‘upgrade’ my side dish from regular fries to sweet potato/yam fries. There’s something about crispy sweet potatoes paired with a savoury cream sauce that I like to call ‘spud bliss’ ☺. This recipe for Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos proves you should never underestimate the culinary possibilities for a spud.
How I’d describe this dish if I didn’t have my photographer extraordinaire husband snapping glamour shots of it:
*Crispy sweet potato fries – seasoned with copious amounts of chili powder, crushed red peppers, cumin, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder – topped with vegan shredded mozzarella, roasted corn and black beans. Fresh fruit accents including sweet cherry tomatoes and lime wedges cap this Mexican-inspired take on nachos.
Three reasons why you should give this recipe a try:
- 1/Sweet potato fries = delish ☺
- 2/Appetizer no more. This recipe elevates nacho plate from ‘appy’ to meal by pairing sweet potato fries with wholesome toppings including hearty, nutrient-packed black beans and burst-in-your-mouth cherry tomatoes.
- 3/Sheet pan recipes are perfect for those busy weeknight meals. It doesn’t get easier than this.
Sweet Potato 101
Here are a few interesting factoids I came across during my research for this recipe:
- *Sweet potatoes and yams are both tuberous root vegetables that come from a flowering plant, but they are not related.
- *Despite their name, sweet potatoes actually help to stabilize blood glucose levels.
- *Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse. They have twice the fiber of white potatoes and are rich in manganese, potassium, iron and vitamin D. They are also anti-inflammatory.
- *A “true” yam has bark-like skin. Yams are drier and starchier compared to sweet potatoes.
With cuisine staples that include corn, beans, squash, avocados, tomatoes and sweet potatoes Mexican food is a vegan’s dream ☺. If you’re looking for some Mexican-inspired recipes look no further:
Note: This recipe was made using a Thermomix appliance; however, it can easily be adapted using similar food prep tools (e.g. multi-function processor, immersion blender etc).
Preparation (see Recipe Notes below)
- 1/Roast 1 cup frozen corn at 400F for 15 – 20 minutes
- 2/Cook 1 cup dry Black Beans as directed
- 3/Prepare one batch of Crema
- 4/Preheat oven to 425F
Sweet Potato Fries
- 3-5 large sweet potatoes, cut into match-stick size
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp taco seasoning (Mix of chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, crushed red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano and/or salt)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup roasted corn (see Preparation Notes)
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 2-3 cups cooked black beans
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled (10g)
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro (20g)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise (125g)
- 2 tsp lime juice (15g)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt (<5g)
- 1/Place match-stick cut sweet potatoes onto a paper-towel covered plate. Pat dry to soak up any excess moisture.
- 2/Place all dry ingredients (cornstarch through salt) in a large Ziploc bag. Add match-stick cut sweet potatoes and shake until well coated.
- 3/Add olive oil to a large mixing/prep bowl. Transfer coated sweet potatoes to the bowl. Mix until the potatoes are evenly coated in olive oil.
- 4/Transfer sweet potatoes to a parchment-paper lined baking tray. Bake at 425F for 40-45 minutes or until the edges are crispy. Tip: Toss the potatoes at the 20 minute mark to ensure they bake evenly~
- 5/Once baked, coat sweet potatoes with shredded cheese, roasted corn and black beans. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese just starts to melt.
- 6/Remove baking tray from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Top with cherry tomatoes and/or lime wedges (optional). Drizzle crema on top. Serve immediately.
*As a general guideline, when cooking beans 1 cup dry beans will yield 3 cups cooked beans
*Tip: Before roasting frozen corn drizzle a small amount of olive oil over corn kernels
*How to prepare Crema:
- 1/Add garlic and fresh cilantro to your Thermomix Mixing bowl (or similar food processor). Chop 7 sec/Speed 5.
- 2/Add vegan mayonnaise, lime juice and salt to the TM bowl. Blend 30 sec/Speed 7.
Follow Your Heart/Earth Island Vegenaise® Mayonnaise [Original]